Please help question about cutting tiles at hip joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just completed the felt and battoning on my garage roof and have ordered all my tiles etc to start tiling, ive done a few small roofs before but never one with a hip running down each corner. The tiles im using are the redland plain type about 10.5 inches by 6.5 inches.

Ive just layed a couple of samples up there and i know that im going to have to cut the end ones at an angle so they run up the hip, but this provides a problem. When cutting the tile at an angle I lose one of the nibs that the tile hangs on and this make them want to slide down on one side :rolleyes:
I have ordered some tile and a halves too, but do i need to use 1 of these on both ends of every row or is there another way to secure them.

Many Thanks Guys.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about one or no nib, as the hip will hold the occasional small piece

You need to use tile and a half where a normal tile and a small piece would not otherwise maintain the overlap or joint cover. So its not a case of using them on each row

But you need to see how it goes, as it may mean that tile and a halfs are better than a tile and a piece

which hips are you using?
when tiling up the hip put tree full tiles and then the cut.. it'll hold everything straight.

which hips are you using?
when tiling up the hip put tree full tiles and then the cut.. it'll hold everything straight.

could you please explain what you mean, im using the segmented ridges :?:

I see your in the new forest, anywhere near Ashurst by any chance :D

Sponsored Links
I am about 7 miles from Ashurst and drive through there very often..

I'll try as well.gain to explain but it's simple, when you start tiling work your first hip cut as big as possible so the hip tile covers the tile without a small cut . This will help save on T&H ...i will likely change as you go up depending on roof pitch.

because the cut tile will only have one nib it will not want to hang straight. get round this by putting three tiles along side it and it will hang perfectly.
(three tiles is better than one)

If we are using a mortar bedded ridge on the hip (as opposed to arris or bonnets) then we mortar bed the last cut tile as we go up and also fill in the gap between tiles on the hip junction too.

This locks everything in place until you are ready to bed the seggy hip tiles.

I got ya now, many thanks guys, im sure il be back for more questions but until then you have all been a great help:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back