please help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in our house for 2 years and recently found damp affecting most external walls and one interior wall was very wet also on pulling back some lino in the downstairs toilet the concrete floor was damp amd showing signs of mold/mildew. I know my patio has been laid directly ontop of the existing patio and therefore I am concerned tjat it has been laid above the dpc. My landlady had a builder come round and he said no the patio is fine and has drilled holes in all walls and injected a gel or cream type dpc, he says this will attract the moisture from the walls and solve the problem. However other ppl I have spoken to (not builders but family working as labourers and my dad who is quite nifty with diy and a handyman I asked before I realised thw extent of the damp) all believe the patio is too high and needs lowering and another builder who my landlady described the situation too bekieves the same so I am slightly confused and concerned. I have checked my neighbours and their dpc is identifiable by a black line that their airbrick sits on and thwy have a good 3 brick courses between their back door and their ground level where I only have 1.5 courses. Obviously I hope for my landlady that the first builder was right but if he isn't I am concerned that he may have treated the symptoms so to speak but not removed the cause. I have attached pics in the hope someone may be able to identify the dpc for me. The first builder said thw original dpc is where the house steps out but as I say my neighbours house which is identical the dpc os considerably lower. Thankyou in advanve for any help and apologies if this is a stupid question :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I think I got a little carried away trying to explain :( basically what I am trying to determine is whether the original damp course is lower than the level of my patio, and if it is will the damp course the builder has injected above where the bricks jut out solve the current damp problemand prevent further problems, or will the patio need lowering? Apologies again for the confusion.

I knew what you were asking, I was just being, er, me! Sorry.

Would you mind taking some better pictures - perhaps from a little further away?

Tom

Sponsored Links
Okies I have taken a few morw pics from slightly further away one of the back one of the side and one of the front. I have also taken 2 of my neighbours house. To show how much higher my patio is, just in case it helps at all.
thanks again for taking the time to have a look.

Lisa

I honestly have no idea I was certain that the dpc was below the level of my patio and other ppl seem to think this is the case as my air brick is so far below the patio, but the builder says no the dpc is where the bricks jut out and the new pointing has been done. However thinking about it even if this is the case then surely my patio is still too high as there is only 1.5 bricks between the patio and where the bricks stick out slightly. I know I must sound very garbled but this is giving me a headache because I really don't want this to be an ongoing problem and I don't want my landlady getting fleeced and with one supposed expert saying it's fine but 3 ppl I trust and who have a fair idea what they're on about (but can't come to visually inspect it) saying it's not I honestly don't know what to tjink, hence me finding myself here beghing for help and garbling on lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back