Please, please help - Mixer shower low hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new and having real problems with my shower. When we moved in, we didn't have one, so we changed the taps on the bath and got mixer taps, and attached the shower head above the bath.

So far, so good. But unfortunately, whilst the cold water pressure is fine, the hot dies as soon as the cold water tap is on even a little bit, so we have real problems adjusting the cold water by millimeters so as to have a hot shower. And then it's either scorching hot, or luke warm.

We've lived with this for a year now, but now we've had enough!

We're as poor as church mice here, so we can't go for expensive solutions, but I was wondering if there was a solution to equalise the pressure a little.

I can't afford to bring electricity to the bathroom from the mains, as that will require an electrician.

We have a storage tank in the loft and an old boiler at ground level. The bathroom is on the second floor of our 2 up 2 down terrace.

Can anybody please please help? No plumbers will even consider giving me advice in this area, because they have lots of nice expensive jobs to do. Thanks to anybody who can advise.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the supplies to the mixer are at different pressures with the cold at mains water pressure, and the hot from a gravity system.

One possible solution may be to install an additional outlet from the cold water storage cistern to the mixer tap. This will probably require 22mm pipe to maintain a reasonable flow to fill the bath with the reduced cold water pressure.

Another may be to install a pressure reducing valve on the mains cold supply to the mixer to equalise the water pressures.

There are venturi showers available that are designed to use a high pressure cold supply to boost the lower hot water pressure

How practical any would be depends on the layout of the plumbing in your house, the depth of your wallet and your personal preferences

My personal preference would be a cold feed from the storage cistern if possible, as it would not add any moving parts which may wear or fail. It may also allow you to add a booster pump later on if you feel the need for a shower powerful enough to pin you against the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back