Please translate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Had some plans drawn up for rear kitchen extension 3 years ago. Plans were approved but BCO stopped it due to possible mine shaft in surrounding area.
Part of the plans included opening up the existing kitchen by removing a load bearing wall and using a lintel. Problem is my original architect has moved on.
Can anyone please translate the following from my plans into laymans terms:
2no 178x102 UBS
Padstones 225x225x2c
Thanks

Sponsored Links
178 x 102 UB is the U beam you will have to put it where the load bearing wall is being taken away, the beam will have to sit on padstones each end 225mm x 225mm They are abit like a small concrete lintels

It is likely the beams will need bolting together with solid spacings between beams, i.e. cut pieces of scaffold tube.

As said 225mm x 225mm x 2c is the dimensions of the concrete padstone, the '2c' referring to the padstone occupying a minimum of 2 courses of brickwork.

A concrete road kerb cut down may be ideal for the two pads.

Thanks for that gents.
Noseall to clarify, you're saying as its suggesting 2 beams, they are to be bolted together with scaffolding tube inbetween them? As the supporting wall is 2 course brick with no cavity?
Also, did a search after on this beam dimensions and it does come up on several posts. This beam seems to be very popular for opening's of all lengths, I have seen a couple stating openings of up to 8 feet, is that the norm?

Sponsored Links
If the wall in question is a solid fella, then not only will the flanges of the beams meet, thus doing away with the need for tube spacers, the build design of the wall may even negate the need for them being bolted together. If say the masonry is constructed with through headers.

178mm x 102mm is indeed a common size used in domestic openings. Mainly due to 'typical' sized openings and loads.

However, openings and beam sizes are decided by span verses load and a variety of other factors and are ultimately sanctioned by a professional, i.e. structural engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back