Pls advice - double glazing company keep messing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for any advice on what to do next in this situation. Sorry it's long but loads of problems !

In feb this year I ordered triple glazing for 5 windows, in April they were fitted.
The first problem came to light on day 1 , when it became apparent that the glazing company had forgot about the facias on the roof windows. For an entire week they tried to dispute it, and charge us extra for it. However they admitted that as it was written in the contract they'd have to do it. But they had not actually factored it into our quote and the scaffolding hire would be costly.

I live in a 100 n something year old house made of granite. The pointing is amazing. However once the windows were fitted the slater made a complete mess of the front of my house, in some cases not repointing the damage they had done but used silicone.

Then after a couple of sunny days all 5 triple glazed units became filled with condensation. (Between 2 panes of the glass)
The company sent an inspector out and he agreed all the work was sub standard. As a result the windows were repointed (really well) and 5 new triple glazed units ordered.
3 days after the inspector admitted their faults and I still had no phone call from the company to inform me of the next steps, time frame and to say sorry. I tried to call for a further 2 days and left countless msgs before someone finally got back to me.

I have paid the full balance on windows, this was done on the understanding they sent me an email to confirm they would not be trying to charge me extra for anything else.

I must add that I am due a baby any day now, and this was the motivation and reason behind us changing from single to triple glazed windows. All in good time for baby's arrival. (Which the company were aware of and promised they'd do)

Anyway the replacement windows were fitted yesterday. 1 was smashed when it was fitted and another was very badly scratched.
The joiner has again informed me that I will need to have 2 more replacement units ordered. He has also dented all my new sills and scratched all the paint.
24 hours later and I ve not heard from the company again.
I have a guarantee to send off but its now past the 30 day expiry. It's the 10 yr guarantee thing. But I can't send it because if I sign it, it says I'm happy with the work and its fault free and finished. Which it isn't.

Is there anything I can do or action I can take against this company ? It took 30 days to replace last units and I can only guess I'll be waiting the same time again. I'm so fed up I really could cry..... Please help !

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if they are attempting to correct the faults.

I assume they buy in the tipple glazed units and not manufacture them if so Im guessing they are alot more *issed off with their suppliers than you are at the moment as its costing them money and most if not all of the profit in the job is probably gone by now.

Each time the units are reordered I expect it would take 1-2 weeks for them to be delivered.

So they probably need a nudge but try not to be too hard on them for the moment. I would write a letter asking them to complete the work within 28 days including repairing the damage to the cills and leave it at that for now. Send the letter recorded delivery and keep a copy.

I know its a pain but sometimes these things happen and some of it will be out of their control. I definatley wouldn't be signing anything until the job is completed (mind I wouldn't have paid in full yet either).

Until you are completely satisfied with ALL the works, do not sign anything. The trail of evidence re the ongoing rectification works to put the contract right seems evident. Until All works are complete, they have not fulfilled there side of the contract, having paid in full you have...the legal case is on your side...pinenot
:)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a guarantee to send off but its now past the 30 day expiry. It's the 10 yr guarantee thing. But I can't send it because if I sign it, it says I'm happy with the work and its fault free and finished. Which it isn't.

What 30 day expiry? nothing should start until the install is complete!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back