Plug Charring - Problem Solving issue.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Notice recently that the was a charred mark around the Neutal prong on a washing machine plug. Obviously...this is not good.

Opened the plug and all is wired correctly (did it myself). It also has the correct fuse.

Now...I do have this plugged in to a 13amp rated extension which is about 2m long. This is shares a socket (on a 13amp multiplug) with a fridge freezer. This should still be within 13amps is total. I know this is not ideal....but I do not think this is the cause of the issue.

When I do not use the washing machine, I use the tumble dryer. This was also wired by me and has no issues at all. I would expect the tumble dryer (it is very old) to have a bigger draw than the modern washing machine and for any issues to present themselves there too.

On closer inspection of the washing machine plug, the overheating occured specifically around the neutral terminal. The only thing that is not great, is that the wire insulation was not all the way up to the terminal itself. So there was more exposed wire than is ideal. The other terminals had insulation all the way up to the terminal. Could that have been the cause?

Any further thoughts/ideas?

Sponsored Links
No, that will not be the cause,

If the wire is not showing signs of overheating I would suspect the socket contacts are a bit loose.

Well, this plug is brittle and charred now around the terminal so I will change it and keep an eye on it.

Cables do not get warm at all.

Cheapy crappy extension. Extensions are not intended for continual use at higher loads. Get a proper socket installed :)

Sponsored Links
The extension has to go anyway - if it's got a flaky contact with the N pin and that's damaged a plug, it will also have damaged the socket.

As above, you need to get this fixed properly. The whole lash-up sounds like it is failing.
If you don't sort it you can look forward to a freezer full of defrosted food, and you don't want that...

As above, you need to get this fixed properly. The whole lash-up sounds like it is failing.
If you don't sort it you can look forward to a freezer full of defrosted food, and you don't want that...

Maybe even a fire!!!

Point taken....I knew it was not ideal..... no point in taking the risk.

The only thing that confuses me is that the tumble dryer, which presumably has a bigger load, shows no issues at all. The plug is in perfect condition and noting gets hot.

So while I will find a permenant and safe solution, I was trying to work out why one was affected and not the other.

It is because the original fault is with the socket not the plug. If the socket is old/worn/or cheap then the connection with the plug will not be made properly. A bad connection causes heat which oxidises the contact point, so the connection get worse = more heat = something gets really hot and fails. In your case the washing machine's plug.
You need new everything.

As you have been advised, extension leads and multi adaptors are frowned on by electricians. Especially in kitchens ,get adequate sockets installed for each appliance.

Kind regards,

DS

As you have been advised, extension leads and multi adaptors are frowned on by electricians. Especially in kitchens ,get adequate sockets installed for each appliance.

Kind regards,

DS
In I(nformation)T(echnology), the use of a six, eight or even ten way trailing socket is perfectly acceptable, as with each item drawing on average less than two amps it would be virtually impossible to overload. Even "cascading" trailers is relatively common practice in some cases. Because Joe Public (then) thinks it is OK to run a washing machine, tumble drier, fridge and freezer all from the same 4-way trailer is a matter for education. However, the same four heavy load items could be connected to a 20A or even a 16A radial, (consisting of two (or more) cheapo double sockets) and no-one would bat an eyelid!

I believe the increased use of trailers for non-IT supplies, especially in "prescribed areas" increased following the imposition of Part P in 2005. Thankfully, in England Part P is now diluted, but Wales (see EricMarks' comments in a different thread regarding "difficulties" with Flintshire LABC which was not mirrored with either Cheshire or Liverpool) foolishly chose not to follow suit.

I believe the increased use of trailers for non-IT supplies, especially in "prescribed areas" increased following the imposition of Part P in 2005.
Do you have any evidence to support that, or is it a completely groundless belief?

Thankfully, in England Part P is now diluted, but Wales (see EricMarks' comments in a different thread regarding "difficulties" with Flintshire LABC which was not mirrored with either Cheshire or Liverpool) foolishly chose not to follow suit.
Part P is :

a) The same as it has been since 2006

b) The same in England and Wales.

Thanks for the replies. Plug replaced. I will be re-activating an old socket that had to be disconnected temporarily.

Just to point out, I would not and did not run both the washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge freezer at the same time! Just one of the machines and the fridge freezer at any one time.

I have had to run the machine a few times already and no sign of the issue reoccurring. I will have the socket up and running soon.

Cheapy crappy extension. Extensions are not intended for continual use at higher loads. Get a proper socket installed :)
While I agree to some extent that putting large applicances on multi-way extension leads is bad practice we see quite a few similar cases of burnout involving fixed sockets.

In any case after a plug or socket burnout BOTH plus and socket need to be replaced. Replacing just one or the other is a recipie for the issue recurring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back