Socket smells when in use

So what would the suitable set up be for both to be used at the same time, if there is one.

Sponsored Links
with a 13A fuse, thus limiting your available power and causing the overheat.
The over heat is because the fuse (13 amp ) is NOT limiting the total current of both appliances to current that the assembly of three sockets can safely carry.

If you are going to be using both appliances at the same time then get two single sockets fitted. ( not all double sockets are rated at 26 amps total, some are only tested at 20 amps total current ). That assumes the method used to supply power to the sockets is suitable to supply two sockets.

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
Judging from this photo i assume at one point there was only the one plug socket there as there is only one set of black and red wires going to it.

The one in the plug for tumble is 13A, the one in plug for washing machine is 13A and the one in 3 gang socket on wall is 13A.

Interesting. You need to go back to the consumer unit (fuseboard) and look at the circuit breaker (or rewirable fuse) supplying that socket.

Trouble is, that socket could be a spur from a ring final (which is fine), could be the end of a radial (which is fine) could be a spur from a spur (not fine), could be on a lighting circuit for all we know.

Given that you've been running high load on the cabling for a while and it hasn't cooked, your best bet will be a 1 gang to 2 gang converter (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p88126 , other brands are available). Note no fuse in that pair of sockets.

Interesting. You need to go back to the consumer unit (fuseboard) and look at the circuit breaker (or rewirable fuse) supplying that socket.

Trouble is, that socket could be a spur from a ring final (which is fine), could be the end of a radial (which is fine) could be a spur from a spur (not fine), could be on a lighting circuit for all we know.

How do I check that?

The fuse/MCB rating at the consumer unit- easy. First, identify which breaker/fuse is supplying that socket (which you should already have done so you could isolate the socket before removing it from the wall and exposing live parts). Second, look at the numbers on the MCB (or the colour of the rewirable fuse or the number on the rewirable fuse). 20A MCB (BLUE rewirable fuse) or 32A MCB (RED rewirable fuse) is good, anything else could be problematic.

As for determining how the place is wired- time consuming and involves switching pretty much all power off, removing faceplates, removing sockets from cables and determining what cables go where. Not a job for the inexperienced.

image.jpg
I just turned the mains switch off in the fuseboard to take the face plate off.

Anyway these are the two for the sockets in the house.

Does that help?

I just turned the mains switch off in the fuseboard to take the face plate off.

Anyway these are the two for the sockets in the house.

Does that help?

Yes it does. It is worth putting the socket back on the wall (or making it safe anyway) and confirming that it is supplied from one of those 2 breakers (plug a light into it, turn main switch on, turn one of those MCBs off, see if the light works, repeat til you've found the MCB that powers that socket)

As long as it is one of those 2 powering the socket then (if it was my house and given circs you've described) I'd be quite comfortable putting one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p88126 on instead of what you currently have.

It would be nice to know how that socket is connected to the (probably) ring final but (as long as you avoid running washer and dryer at the same time) your risk level is low. If you do run them at the same time, at least with that 2 gang socket you won't be overloading a 13A fuse (which is where your problem is with the 3 gang jobbie)

Thanks.

Out of interest what is the difference between the 1 gang to 2 gang converter and a 1 gang to 3 gang converter if only 2 plugs are being plugged in.

Just want to understand why there is a problem and how going from a 1 to 3, to a 1 to 2, will help/make a difference?

I will do the test later on to confirm with the 2 breakers - doing more washing at the moment.

On a separate note - if I got a 1 to 2 gang converter elsewhere in the house for use with things like bedside lamp/TV etc can an extension cord be plugged into one of the 2? So have a 1 to 2 converter with 1 socket being used by extension cable with tv/sky box and lamp plugged in with the second socket empty reserved for say a phone charger or hairdryer every now and then?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back