Plug Circuits Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, would appreciate any thoughts on a problem I'm having with the socket RCD tripping.

Yesterday the RCD for the plug socket circuits kept tripping. After unplugging everything from all the sockets, I could reset the RCD. However on plugging the fridge freezer in the RCD tripped again. Yet the sockets I plugged the fridge into (I tried 3) were all switched off at the socket, but the RCD still trips when the plug is put in each socket.

So I was thinking the problem was with the fridge, but not being convinced I plugged the fridge back in a couple of hours later and it is working fine (without any trips so far). I'm pretty sure though it will trip at some point though.

Anyone got any ideas on why this would happen, or where I should start investigating this?

Help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Some times switches only switch the line wire often neutral still connected. So could be a neutral earth fault. With fridge/freezer often parts are only made live for a short time so a fault on say the defrost heater may only cause a fault once a day. Using meters is only real way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back