Plug is very Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed today that the extension lead I was using in for my washing machine is very hot. The plug is also very hot. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician and others will be along BUT manufactures normally recommend that extensions are not used with high power machines like washing machines and tumble dryers. Is the extension lead you are using rated at 13amps and when in use is it fully uncoiled? Also, is anything else plugged into the extension lead or (if it’s a double) socket you are plugging the extension lead into? 13 amp sockets (even doubles) are only supposed to carry a maximum of 13 amps so plugging in two high current devices into the same socket is not desirable.

It could also be that there are loose connections in the plug of either the washing machine or extension lead or damage to the flex.

It's not normal for a plug to get hot. Slightly warm yes, but not hot! Obviously if the cable/plug is getting hot there is a fire risk and I would unplug it and not use it again until the problem is rectified.

What power rating is the washing machine?

What size conductor has the extension lead have?

Check for any loose connections if it's large.

eimearm said:
I just noticed today that the extension lead I was using in for my washing machine is very hot. The plug is also very hot. Is this normal?

Not normal and potential dangerous.

The overheating plug WILL damage the socket by weakening the spring contacts and also damage the insulation in the wiring behind the socket.

The lead may get warm but not hot. It is too small ( in wire diameter ) for the current load of the washing machine.

The plug should not get warm. Tob e hot indicates a problem that you need to fix BEFORE the socket is damaged. It may already be damaged

Reason for first heating of a plug ....

Low cost plugs do not have fuse holders that can carry the full 13 amp without over heating. The springs that hold the fuse are not good enough.

Badly made connections to the pins in the plug.

Once it gets hot the socket also degrades.

Sponsored Links
eimearm said:

Make sure it is a very good quality extension lead if you really need to use one and not one of the dirt cheap one's. And that the cable is at least as thick, preferably thicker than the one on the washing machine. A lot of extensions have very thick cabling which is better and safer. And don't have any other high powered appliance plugged into it either. Make sure the cable isn't trapped somewhere too and don't have it coiled up.
It shouldn't be getting hot so if I were you I'd change it, make sure the plug/cable on the washing machine isn't hot also, if so it's the machine that could be at fault.

It is a extension lead which my husband made. I took it out of the socket today and used another extension lead and this also started to get warm. Could it be the actual socket? The other day I was using a heavy duty cabel reel for the washing machine and this actually tripped the sockets all over the house I think it may have been the moisture in the room from the tumble dryer. I have went through about 3 leads so am wondering is it the socket.

eimearm said:
It is a extension lead which my husband made. I took it out of the socket today and used another extension lead and this also started to get warm. Could it be the actual socket? The other day I was using a heavy duty cabel reel for the washing machine and this actually tripped the sockets all over the house I think it may have been the moisture in the room from the tumble dryer. I have went through about 3 leads so am wondering is it the socket.

It could be the socket yes. Using the extension (or another longer one if need be) plug the washing machine into a different socket. And see if it still gets hot.

when a w/m heats it draws around 12A
I would suspect that
a) the extension lead cable is too small
b) you are using it coiled up
c) all previous mentions of poor connections

i don't know how they get away with making "13A" extension leads that are only 1.5mm... it's too small.. they ought to be limited to 10A or less.. but you can't get 10A fuses..

Afaik 10A fuses are available from the likes of farnell and RS.
I though 1.5mm flex is rated somewhere around 16A?

ColJack said:
.. but you can't get 10A fuses..

TLF10.JPG
;)

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back