Plug socket circuit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to confirm if the wiring for plug sockets below is fine (pretty sure it is).

1. I understand cleanest way would be to wire 6 plugs in a row: 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6
2. Due to insufficient cable length the above isn’t possible, so considering this alternative circuit: 1 to 2 & 4 & 5 (effectively splicing); 4 to 3; 5 to 6

EDIT: Diagram below is wrong - posted proper one below. 1&2 and 3&4 are doubles so there is actually only a one spur - a double off a double. The whole circuit is a 32A ring

TIA!

IMG_1457.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What about the earth???
L&N are ok if you are looking at the terminals, ie at the back of the socket.

With 2.5 mm² cable from a 20 amp or lower overload device not a problem, but not if supplied from a ring final.

It’s on 2.5mm cable and on a 32A ring circuit. Technically, 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are double sockets if that makes a difference? So mains goes into 1 which is a double and continues to 5, while also running a spur to another double (3 & 4).

What about the earth???
L&N are ok if you are looking at the terminals, ie at the back of the socket.
Earth emitted for simplicity, but wiring follows the same logic.

Sponsored Links
You can’t spur off a spur unless you add a fused connection first

Why do you want so many sockets?

You can’t spur off a spur unless you add a fused connection first

Why do you want so many sockets?
The 4 plugs on the left are in a single unit, ie 2 x doubles. It is a Delta S1988 unit with 2 x 2 Gang 13A Switched Sockets

Last edited:
I think he's saying it will mostly become part of the ring - see the extra L and N at the right hand end.

Sorry all, feel like I’m wasting your time as I didn’t understand how double sockets were wired… The corrected wiring diagram I am proposing is below.

The 4 plus on the left are two doubles. So I am only spurring one double of the other.

IMG_1460.jpeg

I think he's saying it will mostly become part of the ring - see the extra L and N at the right hand end.
Ah - if that is the case then it is alright.

However, I see the original post has been edited to say that, but where does the new wiring start?

Sorry all, feel like I’m wasting your time as I didn’t understand how double sockets were wired… The corrected wiring diagram I am proposing is below.

The 4 plus on the left are two doubles. So I am only spurring one double of the other.

View attachment 311430

Ah - if that is the case then it is alright.

However, I see the original post has been edited to say that, but where does the new wiring start?

Sorry, I got confused drawing it initially and wasn’t sure about all the terminology either. What I really mean is the above quote - a double socket spurred off another double socket.

Sorry, I got confused drawing it initially and wasn’t sure about all the terminology either. What I really mean is the above quote - a double socket spurred off another double socket.
As you can probably work out from what has been said, if one socket (doubkle or single) is part of the ring, gthen you can spur one ((single or double) socket from that without the spur having to be fused.

As I've said Per the diagram (which is 'guidance', not a regulation) one can spur one (double or single) socket in that way). If you wanted to know why the guidance does not seem to 'allow' two single sockets, you would have to ask the person who wrote it!

Kind Regards, John

If you wanted to know why the guidance does not seem to 'allow' two single sockets
It used to a few additions ago did it not?
Only reason I can think of is you'd have 2 cables in the first socket which could be mistaken for part of the ring, maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back