Plug Socket Earthing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a question I need a bit of help with. I got a new socket fascia its a 2 switch, 2 plug socket. I have removed the old fascia and was expecting to see wires which simply need to be swapped over, however the old socket has one earth and the new one has two. Can anyone confirm how I wire up the new one (pictured below),
vqmuc6.jpg

is it that I run the earth wire to the earth point, then from E1 run an earth wire to E2 and run a third earth wire to the earth terminal in box. Heres also a shot of the old one to illustrait the lack of no second earth point
35cj2th.jpg

Sponsored Links
You only need to connect to one earthing point. The two points are connected to each other. The idea is to give an option depending which side the cables enter the backbox.

Are you fixing that to the same back box? That back box is not designed for that socket...

ah, I was going to ask that question next - if it mattered what box it connected to. So by the sound of it it does matter?

Sponsored Links
Your new socket needs a recessed (flush fitting) back box.

Also the wall has to be (almost) perfectly flat and smooth or it will be difficult to fit and look terrible.

ah yes, I should say there is going to be a plasterboard wall so the fascia will sit against that so the box would be hidden from view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back