Plug Socket Heights??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
What are the current height restrictions on plug socket heights?
I've been told 450-1200mm from the floor - no exceptions.
Is this correct as it seems high. Is it for people in wheel chairs as I can't see it being for any other reason?
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've implemented the 450 - 1200mm heights for all sockets and switches on my renovation/rewire. Have gotten used to them and have to say i much prefer them now, especially the light switch height which i initially thought looked stupidly low. Just bend my arm forwards at the elbow and there's the switch - perfect!

Liam

I got in trouble in my mothers house for mounting the thermostat too low should be 1200 to 1400mm but she is in wheel chair so I mounted at her eye hight. But once the building inspector realised she was disabled then all objections seemed to melt away.

I have also had arguments over socket heights in bed rooms as too low I had set so they would be under the hight of main bed so if pushed against the wall the bed would not damage the sockets. Again once pointed out that to lift sockets would not comply with BS7671 regulations objections were dropped.

So I would say if you have any valid reasons for not following the Part M building regulations you can normally deviate but not if it is just for a whim.

Many thanks for the comments.
Will bear that in mind as I'm chasing each position.

I'm doing a full rewire to an old house, so not all light switches will be moved, but all the downstairs sockets will be repositioned.

Prentice - you were fast off the mark!!!! :D

Many thanks
Huw

I'm doing a full rewire to an old house
In that case Part M does not apply. There's a general requirement not to make things worse, but if accessories are not at the guideline heights you don't have to move them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back