socket height regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as i understand the height for sockets is 450 in a new premises, i have been asked to put floor sockets in and was wondering if this is ok to do in a house?

Sponsored Links
We have fitted floor sockets in some high spec domestic properties.

They are used for example to supply a table lamp or laptop where the room is big enough that the furniture is not near the walls, and trailing leads are not desired.

We use the thin flappy ones. They do not actually look as bad as you might imagine in a domestic.

KN77UB.JPG

I don't know how the DDA regs apply to this situation.

ELZ4742 signiture said:
cmon, give us a clue, i aint got a crystal ball you know....

Is it a new build?

Has your customer asked for all sockets to be installed in the floor?

Sponsored Links
clues in the question...

like i said, new premises. why would it make any difference if all the sockets were in the floor?

In another post dingbat said:
All modern regulations set out clearly what must be achieved and leave it to the practitioner to achieve the requirement by whatever means is appropriate in the circumstances. The trouble with this is that you do need to understand those requirements... and many, many 'electricians' simply don't.

well, that hardly helps my cause does it? it says 450 up a wall, mentions nothing of floor space.

ELZ4742 said:
well, that hardly helps my cause does it? it says 450 up a wall, mentions nothing of floor space.

I think you've answered your own question. If you're installing wall mounted sockets they have to be within the mounting zone. If you're installing floor sockets they can go anywhere.

IMO your customer would be foolish to have only floor mounted sockets as this would de-value the property but in the end it's their choice.

My reccomendation would be to wire the floor sockets as spurs from a switched FCU on wall. This will enable relatively easy de-powering in the event of damage, floor cleaning or spillage of liquids into the socket.

A radial specific for floor sockets would serve the same purpose.

it's supposed to be for disabled people, but it also makes it safer for little crawlers ( babies ) as it's harder for them to reach..

low level sockets and floor sockets just beg for little fingers to be prodded into them..
floor sockets also present a trip hazard unless they are under desks or tables..

if it's a family home i'd stick with the heights and tell the customer that it has to be that way for safety reasons..

if it's a bachelor flat on the 2nd floor without a lift then go for it..

see... trip hazard.... :)

does look great for jumping the little remote controlled cars off though.. :LOL:

The white column is the centre pole of a spiral stair case and the socket is under the third tread so not in a place where people can walk.

A spare socket was bought at the same time.

It is in our lounge.

note that there are two basic styles of floor socket, the flappy ones (which judging by what i've seen often get the flaps broken off and i would consider a trip hazard if placed somewhere people are likely to walk) and the floor boxes where the sockets are far enough below floor level that an appliance can be plugged in and the lid put back on with the flex coming out of a neat hole.

I don't see modern sockets as posing much risk to babies, i can't imagine them having the strength or skill to get past the shutter mechanism (hell has anyone worked out how to get past the shutter mechanism on mk's modern sockets without using bits of plug?).

IIRC the building regs just require that reasonable provision for disabled people should be made. I'd think that having plenty of sockets in the reccomended zone would satisfy that even if there are also sockets outside that zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back