Plug socket

Sponsored Links
My comment was made in the context of the original statement which related to the possible overloading of the cable. Your comment did not contribute to that discussion. That's all I meant. The permissible loading of a double socket has been discussed here into the ground.

A double socket is rated at less than 26A. Each socket is rated at 13A but not both together.
The plugs which you plug in don't know that.
What a silly comment :!: The person who plugs in the needs to know that. Overloaded sockets are dangerous.
It's not a silly comment at all, since I'm sure that only an extremely small proportion of the 'people who plug in' (i.e. members of the general public) do know that (even though, as you say, they 'need' to). To the man in street, the 'obvious' implication of there being two 13A outlets is that each can supply 13A - what reason would they have for thinking otherwise?

We've been through this one countless times, and (for the above reason) I don't think that I'll ever move from my view that double sockets that cannot cope with 2 x 13A loads 'should never have been allowed'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The 16th edn 2001 (2004 brown cover) regs didn't require RCD protection for an electric shower (water heater).
I think it came in with the 17th edn regs 2008.
I will agree there is a question as to if "provided that:" was for items (i), (ii) and (iii) or just for item (iii).
601-09-02 The following fixed current-using equipment may be installed in zone 1 if it is suitable for that zone:
(i) a water heater
(ii) a shower pump
(iii) other fixed current-using equipment which can reasonably only be located in zone I , provided that:
(a) it is suitable for the conditions of that zone, and
(b) the supply circuit is additionally protected by a residual current protective device with rated residual operating current, (I∆n). not exceeding 30 mA in accordance with Regulation 412-06.
(iv) SELV current-using equipment.
I had always considered it referred to all of the items but can see how it could be considered as only referring to (iii) it was made so there could be no room for argument with the 17th Edition 2008 but many in 2001 read it as requiring a RCD in 2001. However before that date I don't have any copies of the regulations.

Since we have no idea of the date the shower was fitted it does not really matter other than to say now RCD protection is required on all new sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back