Plumber replaced float ball and touching side of tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with our hot water tank as the relief pressure valve was broken. Previously there was a floating ball that sat on the top of the water connected to the valve.

A plumber came and replaced the valve, and the ball. The ball now rests against the side of the tank. I know nothing about plumbing but in my mind this should be free to move, and it being wedged against the side of the tank seems wrong.

We came home yesterday and the tank was overflowing. Despite being full water was coming in at full force. I moved the ball slightly and it stopped the water.

What I want to know is if he has done it wrong with the ball resting against the side of the tank when it fills? And if so, can anyone reference something I can show him in case he tries to fob me off.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Pressure relief valves work on - surprisingly - pressure, not water level.

Post a picture or two to give us a clue what you're dealing with.

Charnwood";p="2352536 said:
Pressure relief valves work on - surprisingly - pressure, not water level.

Mr. White, you are correct in that the bal should befree to move.

Charnwood is correct in that a PRV has nothing to do with a Ball Valve, but that may be simply a terminology issue.

Here we go:

Maybe the plumber meant a ball cock valve.

They charged for the following parts:
- relief pressure valve
- ball valve

The ball just got stuck again and caused another overflow.

Sponsored Links
No it shouldn't touch the side, can you bend the arm? Or call him back.

There's nothing in the picture that looks like a pressure valve, so someone's got that wrong.

Can you bend the arm away from the side?

Which I'm sure everyone else knew I ment.
I was actually trying to point out the fact to the OP that his installer had bent the arm - wrongly - which was causing the problem.
Apologies if you took it otherwise.

Thanks for your help guys.

The plumber says the ball is too big and is coming back tomorrow to fit a smaller ball.

Does that sound right? Is that ball too big? It looks like the same size as the old one.

I was thinking he would just bend it back away from the side as you guys suggested.

Post a picture of the float valve body, is this float valve in the cold water tank or expansion tank?

Andy

I think the plumber is talking a load of balls.

Hard to tell from your picture, but looking at the width of the arm I'd say the float looks about right.
What size is the valve, what size is the float?

1/2" valve - 41/2" float - 5/16 whitworth thread
3/4" valve - 6" float - 5/16 whit
1" valve - 8" float 7/16 whit

Thanks everyone.

I've taken a photo of the ball, with a tape measure. It's at a very awkward angle so sorry I couldn't get this clearer. I think it's 6".

The valve is slightly smaller than a 50p piece so I think it is 3/4"

He is coming to replace the ball with a smaller one, but I think he just needs to bend the pole to stop the ball catching. I'm planning to tell him this. Does anybody disagree and think that replacing to a smaller ball is right, or is that definitely wrong?

Many thanks

Looks obvious to me!

He bent the arm to lower the level and keep the ball away from the end of the tank.

Unfortunately he got the angle a bit wrong and its now touching the side.

Simple job to bend it back.

Tony

It is possible that the plumber did not replace like-for-like.
He may have replaced a part 2 valve with a part 1.
The float on a part 2 would have been suspended slightly lower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back