Plumber strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove paint from in-place pipes. Some videos said use plumber strip. Is this better than sand paper, or the same? I want no damage to the pipes. Because there is no clearance, and nearby tiles and plastic pipes, a heat gun will likely end up cracking the tiles or melting the plastic.

Sponsored Links
Similar to fine sandpaper I suppose. How thick is the paint? Sometimes if thick, you can break the paint using pliers and the rest will sort of fall off, with some additional persuasion.

One of the pipes is very close to tiles and no way to get a plier round it. I have plenty of sandpaper. If these work the same as the strip, then no point spending money.

Sponsored Links
Compression with olive.

Would a soldering iron work. I could have 400-500C. I don't mind blowing some cr*ppy china tips.

Compression is fine, it doesn't have to be nearly a clean as push fit/soldering. As long as the olive goes on fully it will be ok once tightened.

One of the pipes is very close to tiles and no way to get a plier round it.
They don’t have to go all the way around, usually just either side, slight pressure, rock them side to side, and then sand paper the rest, but if not thick paint then it’s a pointless exercise.

Relocated the joint position for more room and the dremel paint stripping wheel worked. Can't really tell if copper was taken off by it.

strip-paint.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back