Plumbers advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber to remove a gas fire the other day, and we got talking, I told him I'd be interested in having a new combi boiler fitted (to replace my old Baxi solo system boiler and cylinder). However, he seems to be of the "old school" of gas installers. He told me that I can still purchase a non-condensing system boiler for about £400. I asked him, why would I? He said he hates fitting condensing boilers, because the acidic water they produce corrodes the boiler innards, and he has to provide a waste to it. Is this true about the corrosion?

He recommended that I should buy a non-condensing boiler now while I still can . . .

But I want low energy bills!! The upfront investment doesnt bother me!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You would not be able to put a standard efficiency boiler in place of your Solo, it would be illegal, there is an exemption policy in certain circumstances, but as your existing boiler is a fanned flue unit there would be no practical reason not to go condensing

By the way he is talking c**p about corrosion, (it was true in condensing boilers of 25 years ago - anyone remember the old Trisave boiler??) ;)

P.S. get yourself a proper HEATING Engineer!

Against regs to fit non condensing boilers except (i believe) in very exceptional circumstances

I dont think my boiler is fanned flue. I believe its balanced flue? Baxi Solo WM40/4 (if i remember right). Fitted 1990 ish.

stea look at outside boiler if its big square boxs then its blanaced if it round then fan flued

The guy was being honest with you about the corrosion and they do need a waste connection. He was not trying to sell you anything and only passing his opinion, and trying to save you a few quid. Everyone has an opinion and you decide what you want to accept.

The condensate produced from modern boilers is acidic. Not much, about the same as vinegar! but it still corrodes. Try throwing a 2p in a saucer of vinegar for a month and see the results.
The corrosion is a problem and different manufacturers use different methods to minimise it to varying degrees of success by using stainless steel heat exchangers or silicone aluminium.
Band B boilers (the cheaper ones) are basically a SE boiler with an additional latent heat collector fitted to extract a bit more heat from the flue gasses and make it condense.
Ideal Isars for example have rotted beyond repair within a couple of years. The ones with the aluminium exchangers will always have deposits of aluminium in the condensate trap. They are being eaten away.

While a condensing boiler will give lower energy bills the overall lifetime cost is much greater and the lifespan of new boilers (10 years?) will not come anywhere close to that of an old boiler.
Condensing boilers were not made compulsory just to save energy, more like to keep the economy going. More energy overall is actually consumed in the manufacture, fitting and repair than ever was with the old one.

If you are looking for a new boiler get a few prices from different installers. Each will have different opinions on what is best and some will spout pure drivel. You listen and make your choice.

Although it is now compulsory to fit a condensing boiler (with certain exceptions) SE boilers are still being sold weekly by the pallet load. They are being fitted somewhere.

Unless you are desperate for the space or are having issues with your current installation, keep what you've got. Good boiler IMO even though it is approx 20 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back