Plumber's Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I have a small bathroom project and the plumber has quoted £1900 to remove the old tiles and retile (25.5sq m). Plus install the bath, basin and loo, these remain in the same places, there is a small amount of boxing in. Does this seem reasonable, the time estimate is up to 10 days. I would really appreciate an opinion as I do not live in the London area and have not employed anybody for some time.

Sponsored Links
10 days sounds reasonable for this job. On first inspection you might wonder "Why? All he has to do is pull out the old one and put the new one in!". But there is a lot of work in refitting a bathroom.

The costs might seem high for 10 days work. After all, that is 2 weeks, so £1900 x 26 for a year = £49400.

But, that £49400 includes all the overheads of his business. What happens when he can't get enough work to keep him occupied? When he has to take time off due to a bad back (crawling around with pipes and tanks takes it out on a skeleton)? Or any other sickness and holidays. So I doubt he would really be on much more than £30K in "real" terms.

i have adapted this from a previous post i made:

we should not ask or give "guestimates" or quotes on this site. (or go by figures in previous posts)

reasons are:

1) when was quote given (post may be old / out dated)

2) how acurate is quote (i knew some one who would change his quote acorrding to how much he thought you would pay)

3) is quote "like for like" not SIMILAR

4) prices vary across the country so making quote no use.

5) there may be other unforseen problems, access to site for example (not visible on a forum)

so in conclusion anyone,

if you want a quote or idea of a price, get several quotes your self , dont ask here, for the above reasons

Sponsored Links
Hi Minni,

If you've not sorted it out yet, e-mail me and I can discuss rates with you.

I'm not touting for work, so please don't get upset miss.moderator, just happy to discuss timescales and details of the job to set expectation.

Costs will be regional. Easiest way to get a quick comparison is to call a few plumbers/tilers and ask tehm for their m2 rate/ unit rate.

I'm a tiler and fit bathroom suites, so happy to discuss anticpated timescales etc with anyone who has a query.

One obvious queston, do the tiles need to come off?

If the existing ones are sound and do not interfere with your new suite, e.g. space restrictions for using taps/fitting bath etc, then the best option would be to overtile, this could save you up to half the cost - the bulk of which would be labour anyway !

you are wasting your time, look when post was origonaly made, also number of posts made by that person

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back