Slight leak advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just installed a new bathroom in our third bedroom I was a little peed off yesterday to find a small drip coming from behind the shower. The leak appears to come from the 90 degree bend at the top where it connects to the shower unit. It seems to have a small chunk missing at the front which is then allowing water through. I have used PTFE tape on the thread but there is still a small drip. Plumbers mate did nothing and having read posts on here about the same thing I can understand why not. The options I appear to have are:
1: Take out the connector put silicone sealant on the thread and then do it back up waiting for the sealant to go off filling the small crack.
2: Doing the same but using plumbers mait.
3: Using something like LS-X on the outside without taking the connector off.
4: Some other method of sealing the drip.
It needs to be a permanent fix as I need to retile over the small amount I have removed. Any advice on which one to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace the elbow.

If it is the plastic connector I would replace that as I do not think you will get a permanent repair :(

I can't replace the elbow as it is screwed to the wall and soldered to the unaccsessable pipes. Would i be able to solder the metal connector to the 90 degree elbow like a normal joint?

Sponsored Links
I don't understand the metal connector. :confused:

Is it a 15 mm compression elbow or a solder fitting?

If it is a solder, you can try a street elbow, if it is a compression try changing the nut.
Hard to picture what you have, but I have seen similar compression joints filled with jointing paste and have appeared to work.

Personally I would renew the fitting and have done , even if that means taking things apart for access.

Post back with further info if my suggestions are not suitable. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back