Plumbers question - radiator efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario - New 2 storey house ; oil heated : radiators in every room fitted with thermostats, oil burner situated approx 5 mtrs from house.

Problem - last three radiatos on circuit upstairs remain almost stone cold while heating is on everywhere else .

Suggested solution by my plumber - Close valve on downstairs radiator circuit to get full use of upstairs circuit and alternate between circuits as needed.

I suspect my plumber is taking the **** but I know almost nothing about plumbing and therefore cannot argue the point with him at present. Some plumbers wisdom would come in very handy here .

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have we been here before? See this on how to balance the radiator system.

It is also possible that the boiler isn't up to the job but unlikely given that this is a new installation (mind you I've always found that it is better to assume nothing when it comes to these things).

The system should work perfectly with controllable heat at any point. Anything else is codswallop. Get the man to commission it properly.

Cheers mate ,

Thats exactly the info I needed! Just one final quick question though... is it absolutely correct to state that each subsequent radiator on a circuit requires ascending levels of pressure to be balanced correctly and therefore function correctly??

Sponsored Links
No. The rads are all in parallel so they should all get about the sam epressure. If 3 are cold it s more likely to be an airr lock - try shutting all the rest just to push it out. TRV's sort thamselves out as long as things are roughly babalnced. Some may get hot quicker but they should all end up ok. Is the pump on max speed (3) ? It may not need to stay there but its worth a look The boiler should be big enough to heat all the rads together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back