Plumbing a WM into a detached garage (with a slight twist?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been contemplating putting a WM in my detached garage. the gaeage sits at a 45 degree angle from the house and is only 2 metres from the WMs current location under the stairs.

I have read the other posts on here re what pipe to use, how deep the pipe should be buried, and waste disposal etc. the dirty waste water drain is only about half a metre from the garage and was contemplating running the waste pipe down into an aco and then into that main drain.

My only obstacle is this, the garage, while very close to the water supply, is sitting on a concrete slab, about half a metre above the ground. Is this an impassable obstacle in terms of hard winter freezing etc?

The garage has an electricity supply though an RCD consumer unit!

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
My only obstacle is this, the garage, while very close to the water supply, is sitting on a concrete slab, about half a metre above the ground. Is this an impassable obstacle in terms of hard winter freezing etc?

na hire a diamond core and cut through it

bring all the pipes in/out in one spot :idea:

I'd pipe the waste straight to the drain. A build up of soap scum etc in the aco could start to hum....

Thanks, only prob with that is that i have to get to the drain from the detached garage, across a pathway/ginnel between house and garage! I am hoping that rain from the guttering which I will also feed into the aco, will keep it humfree (Humphrey?)

Sponsored Links
Might get away with it then, as long as its a combined drain. Dont discharge the W/M into a rainwater drain!

Cheers, its a waste water drain and the rain water will only be coming off the one half of the garage apex roof so I should be ok with it.

Interstingly, when I bring the pipework out of the ground and through the concrete slab, how would I do this and still protect from freezing conditions?

other posts suggest that lagging will only protect when piping is not open to the element. there is probably going to be a small section that will be outside! will this cause me problems?

you can get exterior grade lagging or put a box round the pipes

Ashland city outskirts of nashville :p

other posts suggest that lagging will only protect when piping is not open to the element. there is probably going to be a small section that will be outside! will this cause me problems?

you can get exterior grade lagging or put a box round the pipes

Ashland city outskirts of nashville :p

cheers kevplumb, if i build a plywood box around it and fill with insulating foam, will this do the trick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back