Plumbing appliances into under-sink drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help me. Please excuse the basic nature of the post as I know the bare minimum about plumbing.

We've bought a dishwasher today, assuming that plumbing it in would be simple. However we've hit a snag. The drainage pipe from the dishwasher has nowhere to go. The trap under our sink (which is a very basic system) has two spigots to fit appliance drainage but the problem is that both are being used; one for our washing machine and one for the boiler.

My initial thought was to replace the trap with a three nozzled trap to fit the extra drainage pipe but I can seem to find that sort of part, nor do I know if that would work.
Another thought was to attach a y-shaped splitter into one of the spigots so I could plumb two drainage pipes into one spigot but again, I don't know if it works that way.

Does anyone know if either of these ideas are plausible or are there any other solutions to the problem? Would it be wiser to call a plumber?

I could post an image of what's under my sink if need be.

Many thanks, Bloke who knows bugger all about plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Apologies, any way to move the topic?

Re: the drain out kit. Does that route both waste pipes from the washing machine and dishwasher into one spigot? I can't seem to find a description of how it works. Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need to disturb any of the existing appliance connections. You just find a convenient piece of existing waste pipe under the sink or behind the dishwasher, use the tool supplied to cut a hole in that pipe then the fitting clamps onto the pipe. It should come with instructions anyway, as it is designed for DIY use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back