plumbing,,,combi boiler,,,help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can someone help please??, have new taps to fit in bath,and have finally found water supply,,but i know i have to cut it off before i take off taps,,but i have a combi boiler ..do i have to switch that off?? water supply is in kitchen,as is boiler.. thanx

Sponsored Links
just turn the cold water supply off, then open both hot & cold taps,
to drain down, then away you go

If you turn off your water at the main supply valve it should turn off the combi, or you have an isolation valve underneath the boiler. Check the instructions also while you've got the water off turn the Central Heating off too as a precaution.

bobw1956 said:
just turn the cold water supply off, then open both hot & cold taps,
to drain down, then away you go
...... thanks still confused as there were two posts and two diff answers... cold water supply?? im sorry but im not good wi stuff but like to try them,, thought this would be straight forward,, i have two taps,, seemingly the round one would cut off bathroom supply,, and the other one connects upstairs house? thanks for your reply...

Sponsored Links
Redcaz,

By turning off your cold water mains you will also stop the supply to your combi and hence when turning off the stop tap you will stop the flow of both hot and cold.

As mentioned drain down (usually best downstairs so that any remaining water in the pipework above will drain down). It saves creating a small puddle on the floor under the bath if nothing else.

When fitting the taps you may wish to install a couple of isolating valves as well, this will allow you to turn off the supply to your bath and leave the water supply to the whole of your property unaffected if you ever have a problem. Also useful when you come to test whether your taps have been fitted correctly.

Mark

kevplumb said:
where are the valves :?:
they are in the kitchen,, there are two,, one round one (council man says that one should shut off water for bathroom),,but to be safe turn both valves off.. i live in a downstairs flat n cheers

stopcock.jpg

the one that looks like this is usually the one you want ;)

Hey Kev, do stop taps now come ready supplied with a roll of ptfe a thumb and forefinger attached, brilliant, auto packing gland fix for when the damn thing leaks the first time you use it, :)

kevplumb said:
stopcock.jpg

the one that looks like this is usually the one you want ;)
thanks !! so i turn that off?? what about the combi?? being a thicko here sorry,just want to do it properly.. there are no instuctions on boiler,, council fitted and they service it,so if i turn that off,,when i turn it back on,,what do i do ?? cheers :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back