Plumbing/durgo problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last 2 months we have been having problems with the bath gurgling when the toilet is flushed. The water level on the toilet rises very high before going back down to a normal level when flushed.

Also some of the waste is not flushed away the first time. We had Dyno Rod out and the engineer said it may be a durgo valve problem in the loft conversion. (we have a bedroom and bathroom in the loft). The engineer left advising we replace the valve. I have since done this but the problem is still there. If the durgo valve is removed and the pipe is left open there is no problem but with the valve on the pipe the problem returns.

I have flushed the toilet and checked the valve and it doesn't seem to open to let air in but it is the new durgo valve that has been installed.

Does anyone know what else the problem can be? I would like to refrain from leaving the durgo valve off due to possible smells.

Just to advise we do not have an external air outlet pipe for the upstairs or loft only the internal durgo valve. There is an external air outlet pipe on the ground floor but this is only for the downstairs toilet. I have checked this and it is not blocked.

Thank you for looking.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like there may be a blockage somewhere. The Durgo acts as an 'Air Admittance Valve' (AAV), and whilst will let air in, it wont let positive pressure out. If the sewer is blocked then it will give the effect of 'sealing' the drain at the bottom. AAV is sealing the top, flushing the W.C. means the water has to displace the air, easiest point of escape is the bath trap.

Stack needs to let air out, so the AAV wont open to let any in, pressure in stack is holding it firmly shut. Removing AAV allows the air out there so problem wont manifest in bath. Suggest you get Dyno back if you've paid them, they haven't solved the problem.

If its a modern W.C. with 6 litre flush, some dont clear the pan on first flush. Get drain sorted first, before looking at this.

There is an external air outlet pipe on the ground floor but this is only for the downstairs toilet. I have checked this and it is not blocked.

Thank you for looking.
That`s an air inlet ;) you probably have an interceptor trap in the last manhole before the sewer - probably blocked partly . Your local sewerage company has to clear more of the network of drains now - give them a ring :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back