plumbing exam help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently done a mock test for a plumbing exam and wasnt happy with some of the answers given by the tutors, can any of you more knowledgeable plumbers give me your opinions on the following:

1.what is required soundness test pressure for hot water pipework which is normally subject to static head pressure of 6 metres?
a.1.2 bar b.0.9 bar c.0.6 bar

which of the following can be fitted to a hot water storage cylinder to provide protection against type 1 pitting corrosion?
a. pressure reducing valve b. magnetic conditioner c.sacrificial anode

what backflow protection device should be fitted to mixer tap fed with from cold mains that permits mixing of hot and cold water in valve body
a.double check valve b.single check valve

during soundness testing on an open vented hot water system ?
a. cold feed gate valve should be opened b.open vent pipe should be capped c.two taps should be opened

i went with b. c. b. and b. but was given other answers,so confused

Sponsored Links
I would have gone for

b 0.9

c sacrifical anode

b single check

b open vent capped

so not sure what answers they want ?

cheers picaso exactly the same as my answers, however tutor has given answers completely different

Sponsored Links
soundness testing is normally carried out at 1.5 x normal working pressure 0.6 x 1.5 = 0.9 so why would 1.2 be the answer ?

single check valves are ok unless the airgap is not sufficient , so why double check valves ?

last one not sure.

You would find it difficult to find a tap with no airgap above the spill over level.

You would find it difficult to find a tap with no airgap above the spill over level.
Not that difficult mate;)
grohe-k7-single-lever-kitchen-sink-00029867L.png

Thought we were talking about standard mixer taps? Those taps would need double check only because the head goes lower than the spill over level, a standard mixer tap even those that mix in the body only need single check valves ,

I've recently done a mock test for a plumbing exam and wasnt happy with some of the answers given by the tutors, can any of you more knowledgeable plumbers give me your opinions on the following:

1.what is required soundness test pressure for hot water pipework which is normally subject to static head pressure of 6 metres?
a.1.2 bar b.0.9 bar c.0.6 bar

which of the following can be fitted to a hot water storage cylinder to provide protection against type 1 pitting corrosion?
a. pressure reducing valve b. magnetic conditioner c.sacrificial anode

what backflow protection device should be fitted to mixer tap fed with from cold mains that permits mixing of hot and cold water in valve body
a.double check valve b.single check valve

during soundness testing on an open vented hot water system ?
a. cold feed gate valve should be opened b.open vent pipe should be capped c.two taps should be opened

i went with b. c. b. and b. but was given other answers,so confused
1.5 times the working pressure.
DCV
Open vent should be capped. I don't think a Gatevalve would hold .9bar test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back