Plumbing, Tap hole too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have swapped the tap in my bath for a tap with a shower attachment.

When I tried to fit the new tap I realised the hole in the bath was too big.

Does anyone know of anything to reduce the size of the hole?

At the moment I have a temporay fix, where i have a metal plate with a hole in which the tap is sitting on, but its not ideal.

is their anything around or a adjustable hole filler?

Sponsored Links
thats about all you can do, is buy or have made a chrome plate/washer, or change the bath,

Do you mean too big that the bottom of the tap wont cover the hole or when you tighten it, it pulls over to the side ? If the latter try fixatap it centres it while you tighten.

Yeah basically I moved into a new build and their was a single mixer tap already fitted on the bath.

As an easy option I bought another single mixer but with a shower attachment on.

I took the tap off the bath that the builders installed, and put my new tap over the hole and it falls through, as the builders hole is too big for my tap.

Im looking for a chrome circular plate or a hole reducer.

I dont know what to search for, what to ask for or where to buy from?

Any help would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, This may be a little late for you, but I had the same issue. I am thinking of using the following type of pipe collar. These are standard from Industrial pipeline vendors, eg BSS (British Steam Specialties), though you may have to buy more than you need. Screwfix only go up to 22mm, but take a look and you will see what I mean. Here is a manufacturer :http://www.talon.co.uk/downloads/Talon-Pipe-Collars.pdf , though these are a plastic type and may not take the pressure of tigthening your backnut on the tap. You need the Chrome metal type. Good luck

Talon pipe collars have a split in them and would not take the pressure required to hold the tap in place.
b.213.0.16777215.0.stories.products.pipe-collars.chrome-effect-pipe-collar.jpg

Conex used to do metal ones, but not for quite some years.

sounds to me that you've purchased a sink mixer tap with a pull out flexi hose for washing the pots :confused: Other wise it would fit the bath because all mono block taps are standard sizes for either basin, sink, or bath :)

I am in exactly the same sitution. I bought a Liscia shower tap (designed to go over the bath) and replaced a large single hole tap in a new build apartment. Did you find a solution and could possibly advise me? Thanks.

pack the hole with something like some metal or plastic and fill with silcone to make a seal... the use a decrative cover shown abover to hid the packing.

Thanks for your help. I have used something like you describe to stop it from falling through but there is nothing to stop the whole assembly from being lifted up i.e. I need something to fix in place underneath too.

This is way too late, but for future happens - it came that time to replace bath filler. Single lever, monoblock mixer. When remove the old one the hole on the bathtub was way too big for the new one mixer. I did use basin waste (cut the upper part only with grinder) and used the rubber seal underneath. Then just tight underneath with two washers. The problem with bigger tap hole sorted. I'll try to upload pic for the final result.

Attachments

• 17138964623247315193873904733911.jpg
    17138964623247315193873904733911.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 35

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back