Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me where I can purchase a stainless steel
wc close couple for fixing an Ideal Standard cistern to its pan.
(size of rubber ring: ID 8cm, OD 11cm)

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Where there is water, stainless steel (or brass, not galvanised or zinc plated) should be used. I'm sure that 99.9% of the population would rather spend a couple of quid more than having to spend hours (and cursing) to try and undo a rusty item which was cheap to buy.

Anyway, going back to my problem:
I would like it in stainless steel, and its got to have the 'doughnut' rubber ring to fit the Ideal Standard (ID=8cm OD=11cm).

I live in Wimbledon. I tried a reputable plumber's merchant such as Burge & Gunson, I've looked at B&Q, Screwfix on the internet.
I've lost enough time on this, which is why I'm asking someone here to tell me where I can purchase it.

Thank yuo

Sponsored Links
. I'm sure that 99.9% of the population would rather spend a couple of quid more than having to spend hours (and cursing) to try and undo a rusty item which was cheap to buy.

Welcome to the plumbing world :p ....hours to remove wing nuts :eek: , do you really think the customer would pay these rates to replace doughnut washer???????? :LOL: , cut one bolt off and the other one will slide out , allow 30'minutes or 5 hours for the inexperienced. :p

Where there is water, stainless steel (or brass, not galvanised or zinc plated) should be used. I'm sure that 99.9% of the population would rather spend a couple of quid more than having to spend hours (and cursing) to try and undo a rusty item which was cheap to buy.

Anyway, going back to my problem:
I would like it in stainless steel, and its got to have the 'doughnut' rubber ring to fit the Ideal Standard (ID=8cm OD=11cm).

I live in Wimbledon. I tried a reputable plumber's merchant such as Burge & Gunson, I've looked at B&Q, Screwfix on the internet.
I've lost enough time on this, which is why I'm asking someone here to tell me where I can purchase it.

Thank yuo

I think you are wasting your time regards the plate, but some kits do come with stainless steel bolts and wing nuts and that is really all you need for a reliable connection that can be removed years later

Check with the supplier but I think you will find the one below has SS fixings (but not the plate itself)

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/viva-pp0030-toilet-close-coupling-kit.html

Why make life difficult? If it were in SS there would not be any need to cut with a hack saw (which can't be that easy, as you need to cut through the washer which surrounds the bolt, in a confined back braking space!!!! with filthy rust impregnated in WD40 oil on fingers...etc.

Going back to my problem:
The old kit plate and two bolts were completely rusty. Luckily, I managed to unscrew the wing nuts ( I used WD40), job done. But what a mess!! Even the porcelain of the cistern still has a large area of rust, after rubbing with a rough pad with Cif.

You may say: 'if there is no leak, there is no rust'. But as any technical person should know, many times I've seen a lot of condensation droplets on the outside of the cistern where normal air (which always has humidity in it) comes in contact with the cold surface of the cistern.
Guess where this condensation ends up??? Yes, at the bottom of the cistern.

Anyway,I can see I'll have to get a normal 'galvanised' or 'zinc plated' plate in the kit, and if I really want to eliminate future problems, I'll have to paint it and the bolts with zinc paint.

What a shame.

As usual, there's a very simple answer.

Buy some s/steel nuts and bolts to go with the standard metal fixing plate. :idea:

Even simpler - a smear of copper slip over the steel bolt's threads, and it ain't ever going to rust.

...........or even simpler...... use the basin for a pizz so as to avoid splashing over the pan and rotting the bolts. :D

...........or even simpler...... use the basin for a pizz so as not to splash over the pan and rot the bolts. :D

i got called out to a blocked basin in a bedroom once, took the trap off and nearly puked all over the place! the occupant couldn't be bothered to go to the toilet so pee'd in his basin and over time the urine crystallised and blocked the trap, the smell was horrendous!

First job as an apprentice was to clean the urinal traps out every Monday morning (site) , used to look forward to it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back