Plume plotter

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
An incinerator was built in a nearby area a few years ago, There was major protests about it, but as usual it seems money won. It was supposed to generate electricity for a new building development, rumour was occupants had no choice but to use this generated electricity, no idea if it was true. I found a "plume plotter" online and occasionally looked at it, luckily we are far enough away to not be badly effected. The site also shows other incinerators, some I looked at seemed much more polluting than the one near us. Have a look and see if you may be being poisoned. Horsham seemed quite bad.

Sponsored Links
There's a global perspective here which shows a range of pollutants - you have to try all the optons, you can zoom around. You can see shipping lanes' pollution, or focus in on coal fired power stations across the world. This screenshot shows something belching at the top of scandinavia. If you spend the time you can isolate the plant doing it.
USA is still one of the worst most times I've looked. Plenty of coal fired plants in Texas...
1670690586554.png

("I read "- that there's no restriction whatsoever on emission from ships in international waters. I haven't dug. You can imagine horrible old hulks letting everything go. Same source, there are about 150 nuclear ships wordlwide. idkt)

"I read "- that there's no restriction whatsoever on emission from ships in international waters. I haven't dug. You can imagine horrible old hulks letting everything go. Same source, there are about 150 nuclear ships wordlwide. idkt)

They've supposedly banned bunker fuel but wether or not the Chinese have complied is another question. These aren't old hulks, they're modern super ships, a little over a dozen were causing more pollution than all the cars in the world.

Yes I'd seen that bit that was '09. Two-stroke diesels operating at prop rpm direct, now, some of them.
It was a little while ago now but the views around shenzen and dalian ports in china was startling. Big old rusty container ships turning the sky black. Nearly got in trouble for taking photos, glad I was with a local. Who measures those?
A relative who's a "Master mariner" whatever that means, told me about having to get bigger air blowers for engines because, he said, the designers got it wrong. I'll quiz him again at xmas but I suspect the designers got it right, and had designed for efficiency.

Sponsored Links
There was an article a while back about the first electric powered cargo ship (built in China)

It was being used to deliver coal to there coal fired power stations

There was an article a while back about the first electric powered cargo ship (built in China)

It was being used to deliver coal to there coal fired power stations
They could use electric ships to carry electric batteries for cars - connect em up for the journey, to power the boat.

A car-go boat.

I believe there are some boats either planned or in use that use shipping containers filled with batteries. They drop them off at each end and swap in a new one. The batteries can then be charged slowly at the port.

I'll look for that.
I though standardization on car batteries, mentioned at one time, might catch on so they could be swapped. Some cars can be charged in 18 minutes now though, so - if the chargers catch up, that's probably a more likely avenue.

Sponsored Links
Back