plywood for floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tongue and groove flooring is pretty badly damaged. I'm thinking of laying down plywood to get an even surface before carpeting. How much would this cost me per square meter? Alternatively, I'm thinking of just laying really thick carpet to see if this will hide the problems. any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sturm said:
My tongue and groove flooring is pretty badly damaged.
In what way?
I'm thinking of laying down plywood to get an even surface before carpeting. How much would this cost me per square meter? Alternatively, I'm thinking of just laying really thick carpet to see if this will hide the problems. any thoughts?
3mm Hardboard, smooth side up is best for this and should be dampened with about 1 pint of water per 8'x4' sheet to stop the unevenness.

Well, there are big gaps between them from where the tongue and groove has been broken. Workmen made a mess of a few old floorboards that they had to be replaced but they were replaced with floors of different thickness.

I'm DIY shy. How much will it cost to get someone to fix it for me?[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Check with carpet shop, they may have a heavy duty paper or good quality underlay to overcome the floor problem.

Or you could put down hardboard, Wickes do them in smaller size, 4'x2', 6'x2' & 8'x4' which will make it easier to handle and work with. It's not difficult to do if you can use a handsaw to cut it and use a stable gun or carpet tack nails to fix it to the floor, make sure the nails are not longer then the floor thickness, normally the floor thickness is approximately 15 to 18mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back