pointing accrington brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to point a gable end which is accrington brick and some off the joints are really small 2mm in some areas not many more than 6mm is there anyone who can give me a guide here thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what you mean. I have watched clips on u tube but only thought it was personal preference for asthetical reasons

Sponsored Links
its a detached property with front and side in accy and common brick a rear which I have already done.

well I thought I would use ordinary building and cement but I looked how small the joints are and they look impossible to point! to me as they are now

Never mind the pointing, how are you going to grind 2mm joints out?

You need to make sure your price is right for this, as you are going to struggle time wise, and you are going to have to be very, very careful not to end up with a smudged mess.

It's probably a case of slicing the mortar in off a trowel

I could only think of going in with a thin 3mm diamond disc and then a 6mm disc but that sounds like a nightmare

Not an easy job with tight joints. I did re-point a gauged arch once with lime putty. I raked out the joints with a hacksaw blade.
You have to remember that if you have got a building sand that's been through a 5mm sieve, it's going to be hard to squeeze that mortar into a tight joint.

I could only think of going in with a thin 3mm diamond disc and then a 6mm disc but that sounds like a nightmare

I wouldn't use a disc it'll end up a dogs dinner with joints that tight. If the mortar is soft / loose you can use a piece of timber with a nail whacked through (I use slate batten with a 3" oval). If the joints are really tight you'll have to use an old pointing/gauging trowel or a hacksaw blade as suggested by Stu. I know the joints you're talking about - alot of the houses round here have less than 4mm joints. Pain in the backside.

you would struggle to get a panel pin in some of the joints I am going to leave it till I am feeling braver. why did they make them so tight in the first place? is it a weathering thing. thanks for the reply,s anyway cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back