Pole for washing line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I recently put up a pole for a washing line. The postcrete set well and I made sure that the pole was straight while it was setting.
Now that the postcrete is set, the problem is the pole wobbles about within the solid postcrete; it feels like I could just pull it out
I'm not sure why as I followed the instructions properly.
Do I have to dig it up and start again? Or is there something I can do to stop it wobbling?

Note: the postcrete does not move and is solid in the ground.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice.

Sponsored Links
How much postcrete is surrounding the pole, what diameter/height is the pole, how deep does the pole go beneath ground level?

@JohnD Hi, thanks for responding. We left it overnight; I checked in it about midday on the next day

Sponsored Links
@freddiemercurystwin
The pole has about two inches in diameter, the pole only goes a few inches below ground level as it turned out to be too short.
As for how much is surrounding the pole: A lot; it's quite a wide hole with plenty of postcrete.
Thanks for responding quickly.

A few inches? That's nothing like enough, is this for a rotary washing line or a standalone pole?

Last edited:
The pole has about two inches in diameter, the pole only goes a few inches below ground level as it turned out to be too short.

They simply don't make the poles long enough - if you set them deep enough, they are then to near the ground, especially in clay soil. Long ago, when we had such a pole I ended up welding an extra 3 feet of scaffold pole, onto the bottom of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back