Erecting a washing line pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

Managed to get a free washing line pole from a friend. It's a pretty hefty lump of metal like a scaffolding pole.

I want to secure it very firmly in my garden so that I can hang a few metres worth of damp washing on it, and being as it is already heavy I know this is going to need some serious securing.

Obviously getting it perfectly vertical is going to be important for balance. However, I want to know what sort of dimensions I need to make my hole of "planting" it to give enough of a platform, and enough depth.

Also, what type of concrete should I use? I've used postcrete in the past for fence posts and thought it was great. I also read that it might be a good idea to set the post in a bucket of concrete first, and then position that in the ground.

So, advice and tips are required. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
keeping it upright will be much easier if you can attack a guy-rope or wire down from the back of it, in line with the pull of the line.

heavy wet washing applies a lot of sustained force on a pole.

will the guy wire not become a tripping danger?

never seen a guy wire for a washing pole.

I would suggest bury around 1/3 of its lenth in concrete to make sure it goes nowhere when wet washing added.

mind you. not a lot of use if pole is 6 foot tall

Thanks folks.

Fortunately, the pole is a bit more than 6ft. More like 8 or 9 I would guess.

Also fortunately, where I'm planning to put it would allow a guy rope to aid it without being a trippnig hazard.

Any suggestions on what type of concrete mix and what dimensions of hole to dig?

Sponsored Links
I realise its been a week since you asked this but I've recently done the same thing but with 2 new poles.

The recommendation was to dig a hole approx 200x200mm and 500mm deep. I cheated on the concrete and just bought some ready mix (just add water) from B&Q. Mixed 2 bags per hole and popped in. I put some old bricks in to wedge the pole in place and provide support in the direction they will be pulled. Its worked a treat.

Hope that helps.

That's great, cheers. I haven't got round to doing it yet, partly because of the torrential rain we've had and also because my mate is going to lend me a digging bar to help get a deep hole.

Was that ready mixed concrete something like Postcrete? I used that for wooden fence posts and was impressed with the results. It's also neat and tidy.

Cant remember what it was called but it was in a green and black bag. Just bog standard ready mixed stuff - think it was about £4 a bag.

i used a piece of waste water pipe in concrete

what is the outside diameter of your pole? (heh heh)

A piece of plastic pipe that your sink drains through will probably accomodate it. Just sink the plastic (above a layer of gravel) in some concrete and it wont even fill up with water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back