Pole Plate

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i can get cracking soon then :D

Hold on a minute; is the pole plate existing, or are you proposing to fix one to carry your floor?
Joking apart, you need to ensure the pole plate is securely fixed to the wall if it is carrying a floor load. A few casually-placed screws along the length may not be sufficient. The wall material is also a significant factor; is it brick, lightweight block, etc?

hi tony, if its ok i will take a picture and post it up here tomorrow for you to maybe take a quick look at. from what i understand there is a very thick external brick wall (will measure tomorrow) then a wall plate ontop of that, attached to the wall plate are 4x2 ceiling joists, then tieing all the ceiling joists up is the pole plate, which also has the rafters resting ontop of it. It seems like the pole plate cant go anywhere and is very very solid however it isnt directly touching the wall like a wall plate does, i wasnt sure if this is safe or not to use to attach the 8x2s

sorry if thats not made any sense or if ive messed up on the terminology but i will post a pic tomorrow if you could be so kind as to help!

thanks alot

That pole plate looks substantial enough. but what is it supported off? Presumably it.s carried on the ends of the ceiling joists, just before they reach the wall. If this is the case, the floor load will, via the pole plate, put a substantial extra shear load on the ends of the ceiling joists, which ideally should be checked for vertical shear.

hi again, just an update structural engineer is coming over to do some maths and i will take it from there !

thanks again for your help tony, you were right about the shear load, looking like a few steels are going to be needed !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back