Polycarbonate roofing on a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Polycarbonate roofing on a garage?

I have a 6m x 2.5m garage with one of the long sides attaching to my bungalow. The run is from front to back (i.e. it is higher at one end of the 6m and lower at the other) with the joists running side to side (2.5m) at 400m centres (100mm x 50mm). Every 10 years the roof has leaked and I need it replaced at an expense. This year it leaked and ruined the PCB on the boiler.

I was wondering if poly carbonate roofing would be an idea? I have looked at the 25mm bronze that comes in 6m lengths and there is a 60% premium over the traditional method for all materials needed.

My questions are:
Is it feasible?
Obviously I would have to run new joists between the old ones to support the front to back what centres should I use? The materiel comes in 700mm 1050 and 2100mm so I would have to put one of the joining strips supported by a joist but should I supplement this centre.
If so can the polycarbonate rest on wood of should it be packed with a materiel that supports it without ruining it?

Any help would be appreciated

Iain

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back