polystyrene u values, concrete floor

Sponsored Links
100mm of Polystyrene still doesn't have a U Value of 0.4.

Let me educate you just for a minute. Indulge me.

A singular item, be it 100mm Polystrene, or Celotex, or a airated block does not have a U Value. It is impossible.

A U Value is the result of a calculation including the thermal conductivities of every component in a construction.

EVERY item used in construction has a thermal conductivity. From the bricks, the roof tiles, to the nails and screws you use.

So yes, you are correct mointainwalker; I missed a word out when I quoted you.

You are still wrong though.

And don't worry, I don't want an apology. :LOL:

A singular item, be it 100mm Polystrene, or Celotex, or a airated block does not have a U Value. It is impossible.

So if I constructed a wall with 100mm of polystyrene, it doesn't have a U value?
Which in turn means it doesn't have any thermal transmittance and therefore no heat loss. Fantastic.

So if I constructed a wall with 100mm of polystyrene, it doesn't have a U value?
Which in turn means it doesn't have any thermal transmittance and therefore no heat loss. Fantastic.

If you constructed a wall out of polystyrene, the U Value would be the last of your issues.

In that bizzarre circumstance, that the only material in the wall was the polystyrene, then a U Value could be calculated. But the polystyrene itself does not have a U Value.

Look, a U Value is just the result of a mathematical calculation. That's all it is.

Sponsored Links
T: +44 (0)845 769 7452 < Springvale (a polystyrene manfuacturer) technical

Tel: 01544 388 601 < Kingspan

T: 0901 996 0100 < Celotex

Call any of the above and ask them what the U Value of their products is. Then post back here and let me know what they say.

If its someone clever they'll say the U value of 100mm of polystyrene= approximately 0.35W.m ² based on CIBSE guidelines.
So I can go ahead and build my wall and calculate the overall heatloss.

Yes, it has a thermal transmittance

So it has a U value then.

No, thermal transmittance / lambda value / thermal conductivity is not a U Value.

Raize, as a thick old bricklayer, we find this very interesting and informative.
To re-cap EPS has a lambda of 0.038W/mK which should give a Resistance of 2.63m2K/w which should give a U value of 0.38W/m2K.
Is that right Raize? Our apologies if we are wrong.
oldun

Thats correct. Though you could probably add on some surface resistances which would lower it a little.
Get yourself cibse Guide A oldun. I have two copies sitting on my desk in front of me. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back