Pond advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved into our house 2 odd years back we inherited a pond full of fish. Since having my daughter who is now a toddler we decided to buy a raised pond for safety. The pond in the ground was there and just left to its own devices but now we want to make this new pond a bit of a feature. The only downside to this is I know nothing about ponds....or fish. The pond is 400 gallon.
So.....Filters.... Because the pond is raised and I don't want a dirty great box built at height I think I need either a pressure filter or a submerged pump/filter. Anyone have any experience of these??? Good/bad points, what and how often is maintainance needed??? Which would people recommend????
transferring the fish??? Do I need to do anything special to the water in the new pond at all or can I just move them into their new home???? How long should I fill the pond up in advance before I transfer them????

I think thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of other stuff later :D

Sponsored Links
we normally fit cyclonic filters with a uv light in them to new ponds we do. The advantage of these is that they can be buried in the ground. They are also easy to access and maintain

They do require regular maintenance in the first 6 months of the new ponds life, as it takes a while for the pond to settle down and find its balance. A pre filter over the pump is a good idea.

Whenever we move fish we use a couple of water tanks and fill them with water from the pond first, before wqe transfer the fish into them as a holding tank.

When the new pond is ready we use a dechlorinator for the new water and add medi-fin to the water for the fish. We then usually leave it for a few days before putting the fish in. So far we havent lost a single one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back