Poor access to fit loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Edwardian house which currently has no insulation at all! The main part of the roof space is easy accessed through a loft hatch and I have no problems doing that myself. However, the roof over the center of the house is a separate pitched, tiled and un-felted space, measuring aprox 2.5x2.0m with a height at the apex of aprox 1m. The access to this area is a very small triangle aprox 12".

Other than training my 3 year old boy to crawl in and lay insulation, do any of you have experience / suggestions? I am thinking polystyrene peanuts run down a bit of plastic drainpipe or something like this. I don't have a budget for 'professionally blown insulation' though.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Peter

Sponsored Links
stick your head up and take some photos showing the loft timbers, and also the underside so we can get an idea of the shape. Is this a ceiling over a loft room or attic? can you get at it from the sides?

Quite likely you can cut out some of the plaster ceiling between the timbers and put in a better hatch. What size and spacing are the timbers?

I suppose the ceiling is lath and plaster, unless it has already fallen down and been replaced with plasterboard? How cracked and bulging is it?

Hi, This space is some 22' over our hallway, Hence, not being too keen to cut through the ceiling. (Lath 'n Paster and in very good nick)I will get some photos tomorrow and postback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back