Poor hot water from shower mixer tap...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope there is someone who can help me with this.

Bathroom installed a couple of years ago with new shower mixer tap. We have noticed that the water pressure from the hot tap has been reducing until now it is just a trickle!

Water comes from a Combi boiler.

Have read some earlier posts and suggestions saying that similar problems have been airlocks.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be the flow restrictor (if your boiler has one).

Or the diverter valve.

Are all of your hot taps in kitchen/bathroom slow flow on hot ?.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Well in that case a simpler problem with the mixer tap exists.

can you measure the flow rate using a jug, compare it to another hot tap, time it over a minute.

Maybe some debris is lodged in the tap unit.

Al

Debris is quite possible - i'll check this tonight.

Do you think using the method used to clear an airlock will help this?

Newgate_Blue said:
Debris is quite possible - i'll check this tonight.

Do you think using the method used to clear an airlock will help this?

It may well do, im unsure, maybe a pro can confirm this.

Alan

Hi,

Just tried blocking spout and turning on hot then cold tap - this has not worked!

I've noticed that the tap does not turn fully on - it is difficult to fully turn and I can only get about a 1/4 turn when it should turn all the way around.

Do you think this could be the washer?

Did you run a piece of hosing from hot to cold, then turn on cold water ?.

Does the cold tap turn more than the hot ?.

Al

Your HW is mains pressure as its through a combi. You simply don't ever get airlocks on mains fed pipes. (well almost - not in your case!)

It'll be something like scale jamming things up, a dead thermostatic cartridge, "spread" washer stopping the water going by. Just possibly its scale in the shower head - though at first thought that would seem impossible, there are reasons..

You mentioned not being able to turn the tap, so I assume it's not a thermostatic type...? Take it apart, clean with limescale remover and grease with silicone grease, and a new washer.

Thanks ChrisR,

I'll try the dismantling process - which I expect will cure the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Success! I didn't even have to strip the tap down.

'Er indoors managed to turn the tap all the way (after a struggle) and now the flow is working and the tap turns freely!

Brute force triumphs! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back