Pop-up waste removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to safely remove the bit that you twist (just below the taps) to open the plug on this type of pop up waste mechanism?

It's very similar to this:

http://www.ec1bathrooms.co.uk/ishop/1138/shopscr957.html

It has stopped working in that you can twist the knob but the plug doesn't lift. I have bought a replacement and I can see how that works as there is a small hole in the knob where a screw can be reached and undone. However, on the current one, it is solid all the way around. I can't find an obvious way of removing it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's not necessarily the knob that's at fault.
Common problem on these - snapped cable.

Hello Charnwood,

Thanks for the reply. Cable seems to be ok as when I turn the knob, I can see the cable flex. I suspect it has unlinked from the mechanism that pushes the plug up. Either way, I need to replace it and I can't get the original off due to the predescribed problem!

Sponsored Links
If there is no sign of a fixing method it is probably just a push fit. Give it a good pull or lever it off. Are you sure it isn't just the adjusting bolt attached to the plug which needs altered, or has fallen off - common problem.

Denso, assuming I have understood your point, the adjusting bolt is on the part that is the plughole and I have managed to undo that (and the piping although the plughole is still attached to the bath with sealant so I still have to address that).
This is the knob underneath the taps. There is no obvious method of attachment so maybe it is a push fit? I guess levering it off is an option and just hope I'm doing the right thing and it doesn't damage the bath!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back