porcelain tiles on slightly uneven concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings oh knowledgeable ones,

I would like to tile a 2.5 x 2.5 sq m galley kitchen with 330mm sq porcelain tiles. It is an ex-local authority flat with a concrete floor, has some cracks in parts. I’ve run my spirit level over sections of the floor, and it seems level in some parts slightly unlevel in others, although there are no huge dips or bumps in the surface (a crack/depression near the door). This crack is about 2mm in width and 1mm height difference when measured using a tape measure and spirit level. The concrete is a bit dirty from drips of paint and so forth from other work i have done in the kitchen.

I have been advised to tile up to the cabinet plinth.

The tiles come from terrazzo tiles and I believe them to be very high quality http://shop.glass-mosaic.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=1355&parent=286, they are not polished but are "anti-slip". I poured water on a sample and half an hour later it was still on the surface.

My question is: can i get away with cleaning, sealing the concrete with PVC primer, and then using flexible powdered adhesive built to a sufficient level to overcome any uneveness or imperfections in the concrete? Will it be strong enough to support the porcelain tiles?

Since this is my first forray into floor tiling, I would appreciate any other tips/suggestions you may have about which particular tools and brands to use.

My appreciation to anyone who responds

Sponsored Links
If you can get a good flat even layer of adhesive then there isn't a problem. If you can't then you are better chipping off the high spots and using a leveling compound. It just makes life easier.

BTW, I don't like the idea of tiling up to the plinth as you struggle to get it off later.
Better removing the plinth and tiling under.

Hold the front page!!!!!!!!! I agree with Joe! :eek:
Just make sure the adhesive says it's suitable for porcelain tiles and follow the instructions with the adhesive regarding priming. PVA isn't usually recommended on bags of tile adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back