Porch canopy in AONB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I fit a porch canopy in an AONB (Not in a conservation area) without planning permission?
Do I need to even involve planning or any other governing 'body' of our intentions?

Gallow brackets with canopy sitting on top.
'Floor area' size approx 600mm deep by 2.3m wide.
Also, overall height taken from ground floor would be under 3m. (That's from floor level to ridge height). But does the height even matter?
To be tiled with Redland concrete tiles to match existing house tiles, or as close as.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Within an AONB, works under classes A & B are excluded but works under classes C, D, and F are not, so:

Yes, you can provide a porch in an AONB.
No, you don't need to involve any governing body.
Yes, the height matters.

Permitted development
D.
The erection or construction of a porch outside any external door of a dwellinghouse.

Development not permitted
D.1
Development is not permitted by Class D if—
(a) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of the GPDO (changes of use);
(b)the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3 square metres;
(c)any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground level; or
(d)any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

The rules for the remaining classes are more subtle.

Its not within 2 metres of a highway so up it goes!

Thankyou very much, puts my mind at ease knowing there won't be any issues.
However, everyone else in our secluded area of 6 houses all have pitched porches from front to back, i.e front of porch back to the house wall whereas ours will be pitched to give a 'gable end' at the front.

I'm sure their opinions on our porch being 'different' will soon enough be expressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back