Porch permitted sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I’m having a really dense moment and I just can’t find the answer online.
I’m aware that you can build a porch of 3m2 as a permitted development.
In some places it’s written as 3m2 and in other places three square meters.

Am I right in saying that this means you can have a total floor space (including walls) of 3m x 1m for example (or alternatively 2m x 1.5m).

Or can it be 3m x 3m?

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Don’t forget about the height it’s 3 metres to the eaves … the council came out to measure mine as Someone clomp Laibes, they were very happy it was spot on , its worth making it a little smaller then over and the 3x1 m2 is externally not internally
Thanks
Jake

I'm considering something similar but more of an oak framed storm shelter for wellies etc.

For the purposes of PD am I right is saying there's no difference between this and an enclosed porch, and it's the same 3m2 footprint limit?

"3m2 is the same as three square metres,"

It's confusing notation. 3m2 is a clumsy way of writing m with a little 2 raised above the m. Word automatically detects this usage and writes it as intended, but basic emailers and forums don't usually have a way of doing that.
So 3m2 looks confusingly as if it ought to mean 3 metres square, which would be a square of dimensions 3m by 3m, but that is not what is intended here.

:oops:

I suppose there could be confusion between 3 BMW m2's on the drive or a small brick thing.

But I blame the bloody French and their damn SI units in any case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back