Porch Roof Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am currently in the middle of constructing a brick porch on the front of my ex council house, as shown below.

2j1lnr7.jpg
[/IMG]
2j1lnr7.jpg

My question is about the roof, i am wanting to build a brick pillar on the opposite side of the big window and have the roof spanning the distance. What size wall plate would you suggest for this top and bottom, the span from one end to the other will be about 5m, so i would need to have 2 lengths of wood, does this matter? I didn't need planning permission for the porch because it fell within the limits size wise, would i need additional permission to do the roof as i have suggested?

Any additional help with wood sizes for the roof trusses/joists would also be welcomed :)

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Wall plate?

You will need a beam. One piece, not two joined together.

Sorry Woody,

I thought that the long piece of wood that connects across the length of the wall is called a wall plate? The span is too long for one piece I think?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody,

So I would have 2 bearer plates connected running along the top and bottom of the roof structure on the wall, then the bearer plate running across the front going from the porch to the adjoining pillar, all connecting with the ceiling rafters does that sound right?

Thanks Again

John

If I read your initial post correctly, you're proposing a 5 metre wide canopy to cover the new porch, plus the ground in front of the large window in the right of your photo. It looks like that would be around 5 square metres in total. I'd double check permitted development - my understanding is that the area enclosed by a canopy is classed the same as a porch itself, so you'd be exceeding the 3 square metre limit.

Will the roof be pitched? How high?

Hi,

The roof will be no more than 3m high and will be pitched, if i needed permission would it be a possibility to have a small gap in between them so they would be classed as 2 different things, i.e a porch and separate canopy?

Last edited:
i have sent an email to building control for my local area, so shall wait for a response.

if i needed permission would it be a possibility to have a small gap in between them so they would be classed as 2 different things, i.e a porch and separate canopy

I can see what you're getting at, but to be classed as a porch for PD I think it has to be over a door in to the house.

Have you considered asking someone in your planning dept whether you'd get permission if you applied?

I can see what you're getting at, but to be classed as a porch for PD I think it has to be over a door in to the house.

it would be over the front door, then the seperate canopy if needed, so the wall would carry up as on the picture, then the canopy would start next to it.

You could build it without a pillar couldn't you?

5x2 top and bottom bolted to the wall and triangle pieces fitted to those.

it would be over the front door, then the seperate canopy if needed, so the wall would carry up as on the picture, then the canopy would start next to it.

My concern for you is that to be exempt under class D, the canopy has to be over an external door to your house. Whether anyone would care I'm not sure. What has everyone else in your street done? If you're not going to upset anyone then you could build them separately as you suggest and then it'd be fairly easy to pull the canopy down with no damage to the porch if push came to shove.

Unless you design it well it may look at little naff though. Why not sketch it out and pay the £180 to apply for permission?

Why do you want a canopy over your window?
Do you get too much sunlight into the room giving you over heating issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back