Porch Roof Questions

Why do you want a canopy over your window?
Do you get too much sunlight into the room giving you over heating issues?

During the day we do get a lot of sunlight in the room and have to have blinds shut, but i also quite like the look of a full length canopy, a few have them around where i live.

Sponsored Links
Strictly, this type of thing should require planning permission as it is either classed as an alteration forward for the house front elevation, or it takes the porch over the allowed 3m2 limit for permitted development.

But it's also one of those things that the planners will never enforce as long as it fits in with the house and locality generally.

Sponsored Links
So i read it that what i plan to do is fine?

That's for building regulations, NOT planning permission.

I'd do like the woodster says, if it's not going to upset your neighbours or look dreadfully out of place then just build it, and what's the worst that can happen...

PS - someone should have a word with Gateshead council. Using the term 'building regulations permission' is extremely unhelpful when dealing with a matter that a lot of people find confusing at the best of times.

PS - someone should have a word with Gateshead council. Using the term 'building regulations permission' is extremely unhelpful when dealing with a matter that a lot of people find confusing at the best of times.

Whats more confusing is i live in Manchester so no where near Gateshead lol, but my local building control officer sent me this link as he said "This website explains it better than ours"

So now after 95% completing the brick work i have some more questions :) so i am having 2 5 x 2 lengths of wood bolted top and bottom of the house to support the roof trusses, i am going for an 8 x 2 bearer plate spanning the length of the porch going to the brick pillar on the opposite side of the window. i have a 4 x 2 wall plate bedded on the length of the inner leaf with support straps ready to be screwed down.

So does everything sound ok so far? How do i connect the 8 by 2 bearer plate to the wall plate so that it keeps in situ? Also what expansion bolts would you use to attach the 2 lengths of 5 by 2 to the existing house wall?

Please excuse my poor terminology as i get confused with wall plates, bearer plates and so on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back