Porch roof wet bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, I've noticed this morning wet brickwork outside the front of our house. Seems to be coming from the porch roof.

Could be a coincidence but I did clean up a decent amount of moss from the porch tiles on Friday.

Any ideas? Got some of the left side as well but not as bad

Pics below, thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20231104_092652098.jpg
    PXL_20231104_092652098.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20231104_092636098~2.jpg
    PXL_20231104_092636098~2.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Its run off from the porch.

wind direction prprobably - if the wind blows rain against the house wall it will run down until it hits the porch roof and be directed towards the brickwork.

if you are bothered you could put a gutter in that side as you’ve a downpipe close by

Thanks. We've only been here 7 weeks but still strange how only noticed it today as it's rained a lot. I wondered if the moss I removed had somehow been helping collect water lol

Thanks. We've only been here 7 weeks but still strange how only noticed it today as it's rained a lot. I wondered if the moss I removed had somehow been helping collect water lol
The moss might’ve slowed run off, now with a clean roof it’s probably shooting off

I would say it’s not a problem because if it was the house brickwork would’ve started to go a bit black in those areas

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I could add to the lower section of tiles to stop water running off as quick. A small block of some kind which would help slow it down or possibly route to the middle of the roof rather that wall? I'll be sticking the moss back on at this rate

If not, I'll see if it happens a lot more now the roof is cleaner and if so consider a gutter

Last edited:
I have a bag of moss for sale. Will solve the problem. PayPal accepted.

Deal.

Is that section of wall below the first floor windows saturated, as there is a markedly different colour to those bricks below? And likewise around those ground floor windows to the left.

To be honest I think it's just very strange lighting from the camera. The bricks may have been slightly damp from rain direction but both pictures make it seem like different colour bricks, which isn't the case

They look saturated, and there is an algae stain up the corner.

Anyway, there would be a cavity tray in the wall above the canopy, and if that wall did get soaked, that water either side would be in the place were the water would be exiting the cavity trays. It's a possible alternative, to the driven rain theory, as it does show as similar staining.

This hasn't happened since my initial post and it's been torrential recently. I guess it was wind causing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back