porch Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My brother and his mate have nearly built me a porch and i have to do the roof work.

I want it to slope upto the house from the front of the porch then i want to carry it on all across my front window.

I have done a diagram of the side view but without the wall at the side please could someone have a look and tell me is that correct before i go ahead
porchside.jpg

Sorry if picture is too big

ManyThanks

Andy[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
spot on.

the brick work needn't go that high. we tend to leave the external brick work down a course or two and this allows you to lay the soffitte board on to the top of the brickwork (saves scribing).

you then "wedge" it down with some sprockets fixed to the rafter ends.

we also use joist hangers on the ceiling joist-to-wall plate connection.

p.s. the wall plate needs to be 75mm lower as to allow the ceiling joists to sit on top of the plate.

HI Mate

The external brick work is 1 brick lower than that shown, i can leave that as it is then,i was goin to put another row on like the picture but it makes a lot of sense what your saying.

Not sure what you meen about wedge sorry.

thats what i thought about the ceiling joist by using joist hangers.

Which part do you meen about the 75mm lower part

Thanks for your reply

Andy

by wedge i simply mean a piece of timber nailed to the side of the rafter that is pressed down onto the topside of the soffit trapping it down onto the bricks.

all it does is stop the wind from flapping the soffit about. ;)

in the diagram you show the wall plate at the same height as the ceiling joists, with the actual joist notched on to it.

this is wrong as it will take too much "meat" out of the joist.

you need to fix the wall plate lower so that the ceiling joist sits on top.

the wall plate is usually still visible even after you have fixed the ceiling plaster boards.

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists should sit on the wallplate bedded on the new blockwork - the way you have shown it would require the joist to be notched to half its depth!

The rafters should be birdsmouthed onto the wallplate (ie lower them by 25mm), and the ceiling joists nailed to the rafters to restrain them.

The top wall bearing plate (on the house) should be lowered too - to reduce the notch in the rafter

to simplify your diagram, rather than call all three "wall plates", you should actually say:

pole plate (bottom left)

pitching plate (top left)

wall plate (bottom right)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back