Porotherm clay blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone has used these on a build?

I saw them on tv a while ago and they advertise to be quicker to lay saving on labour and use less mortar whilst maintaing strength

I am having an extension built in Jan 16 and wondered if this would be a good idea. Im slighty concerned about the cold weather and mortar on a traditional build (although the builder reasures me it will be fine)

Im also trying to find out a cost comparrison between tradition blocks vs porotherm clay blocks

Any advise appreciated

Sponsored Links
These things are fine (in theory) for large projects and with a suitably-trained workforce.
But for a small extension, forget it, unless you want to pay ££££ extra on your project to save the planet by saving a bit of mortar.

Im not a member of greenpeace although I do appreciate our planet. Im more concerned about getting it built quickly with less risk of frost affecting the build. How much more percentage wise would it cost compared to conventional methods?

Sponsored Links
Few builders who take on normal domestic extensions will be familiar with the thin-joint technique.
Doing an extension the conventional way in cold weather is not usually a problem these days with the additives they put in mortar.
As regards cost difference - very hard to say, and I doubt many builders will be able to give you meaningful comparisons.
If you persevere with getting someone to do the work with these blocks, you will find it will go up no quicker than a conventional job, and certainly a lot more expensive.
But good luck with your quest, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back