Porous Sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my bungalow the North facing wall is constructed of irregular sandstone blocks. I have lived here for seven years and every time we have driving rain from the North we eventually get water dripping into the room from the top of the window. (where the frame meets the top of the window recess.)

I had the whole of the house repointed last year and re roofed earlier this year but the problem persists.

It takes about 3 or 4 hours of driving rain before it starts to drip, but once started it is a fairly steady stream.

Can it be possible that the sandstone blocks are so porus that they are absorbing the rainwater and eventually become saturated and leak down the cavity to the window ?

If waterproofing the stone sandstone is the answer what is the best treatment to use ?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back