Position of magnetic filter on return pipe.

Hard to say that when it's unknown what's on that leg of the return??
True I didn't want to complicate it! Even if it's just 20%, after 10 times round the system 90% of the water will have been through the filter. So your definitoin of pointless is for a heating engineer, not a DIYer ;) But to get 90% of the crud, it needs everything to stay in suspension. If a radiator is crudded up already doesn't matter where the filter is tbh.

My point is really that anywhere's better than nothing, but you can cover more cases with better placement.

Q: While we're on the topic - mag filter should go before the boiler, air separator/spirovent should go after (hottest point), but how about the combined spirocombi units? I put ours after, but now I'm wondering whether I should move it before the boiler after all.

Sponsored Links
What is the inline filter you are thinking of?

There’s an ebay link in post #3. Not a filter I recognise; any comments?

Re being on just half the circuit - I’d worry about the flow being unbalanced and needing to fiddle with the rads.

@Hairyeyeballs, the reason I say that it's pointless is, if you are going to the trouble to alter the pipework to get a mag filter in anywhere then you may as well as do the job properly and have it placed onto the single return pipe feeding into the boiler, that way you get max benefit from the start and then it's done.

Hmmmm ..... Hard to say that when it's unknown what's on that leg of the return?? May only be 2 small rads and the other 10 large rads are on the other leg ;)

John also says that for a pro it won't be difficult but TBH, if you are handy and competent with compression joints and a pipe cutter, which you would have to be really if you want to fit your own mag filter, then you could re-jig that pipework to give enough of a pipe run on the single return without a huge amount of effort, just a bit of thought.

What is the inline filter you are thinking of?
Was thinking of one of these but only because of the limited space. If I'm getting the pipework altered I might be able to get a bigger more accessible one now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWFLEX...121316?hash=item3f9758d664:g:y7QAAOSw9Z1aakEx

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Are there any magnetic filters that are better than others or are they all about the same?

Sponsored Links
Re filters, I think they all use similar magnets, so probably perform in a similar way. Build quality may be different though, i.e. this one has failed due to cross threading.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152973324826

Re the fitting location for the OP, if changing the pipe work isn't desired and it's felt that putting it either above or below the tee isn’t ideal, how about 2 filters, one above and one below? Would give full protection, require cleaning out less often, but more £££ for 2 filters.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There’s an ebay link in post #3. Not a filter I recognise; any comments?

Missed that link - Flowflex - I've seen their compression and copper fittings before and they were good, they make those little solder ring cowls for the external ends of blow off pipes. Looks like an ok filter, never tried one though so wouldn't know until tested. I'd certainly give it a look though especially for that price, looks like a new design thought up by a professional so worth a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back