Position of the newel post at top stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the newel post have to sit level with the highest step or could you set it on the second to last step?

The photo shows the post would go where my tape measure is, but if I set it back a bit I get more space to get into the room.

Attachments

• IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Different angle. The top left of the stairs will contain a cupboard, so not open and the rest of the area will have a stud wall stopping you falling.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 50
The other side of the stairs will have this stud wall clad with pallet wood.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
I suspect that you wouldn’t pass building regs?
There is a potential risk of falling “down the hole”.

I guess that if the landing newel post was pulled slightly further back along the downward direction of the stairs, it could be mitigated by a handrail screwed across at 90° to the stair run on the wall that the stairs face?

you will still have the handrail and banister following the string line and still get in the way on the corner all you will save is perhaps 15-20mm as the difference between newel and handrail at the actual corner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back